Dr. Jianfei Yang
Presidential Postdoctoral Fellow
Centre for System Intelligence and Efficiency
Nanyang Technological University
School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Nanyang Technological University
yang0478 (at) ntu.edu.sg
I am a Principal Investigator and a Presidential Postdoctoral Fellow working with Prof. Xie Lihua in the Centre for System Intelligence and Efficiency (CSIE). Before NTU, I worked on the Sinberbest Project with Prof. Costas Spanos and Dr. Han Zou at BEARS, the University of California, Berkeley. I am recognized as the World’s Top 2% Scientists compiled by Stanford University.
My Research mainly focuses on Artificial Intelligence of Things (AIoT), where the state-of-the-art AI models are proposed and implemented in the edge devices and enables everything interconnected. Broadly speaking, I study how AI models empower IoT-enabled edge devices to sense the environment (i.e. AIoT Sensing), how AI models are efficiently deployed in resource-restrained environments (i.e. Efficient AI), how multi-modal IoT data can be represented to support decision-making in large language models (i.e. Multimodal LLM), and how AIoT enables trustworthy and automatic transactions and business (i.e. IoT Blockchain). My ultimate vision is to create a world of Artificial Internet of Everything encircled by edge intelligence. I have published papers in top-tier AI and IoT conferences including ICLR, NeurIPS, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ACL, Mobicom, AAAI, ACM-MM, etc.
Jianfei spent his childhood in Binzhou, Shandong Province. He received his bachelor’s degrees from the School of Data and Computer Science, Sun Yat-sen University in 2016, and a Ph.D. from Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore in 2021, supervised by Prof. Xie Lihua. He received the best Ph.D. thesis award and graduate college award from NTU. He used to work as a senior research engineer at BEARS, the University of California, Berkeley, supervised by Prof. Costas Spanos. Then he was awarded the NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship for his AIoT research.
Besides his research, he is keen on participating AI and data science challenges to deal with real-world interdisciplinary problems. He wins the first place in a dozen of International AI challenges and hackathons, such as Microsoft/IEEE BOP-16, MOE Buildathon of Singapore 2017, ACM ICMI-18 EmotiW, PHI-Net Challenge by Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, IEEE CVPR-19 UG2+, and ICCV-21 Masked Face Recognition. He was the captain of Team 404 in the Talk Show “Fire, Talented Programmer” (燃烧吧，天才程序员！). During his spare time, he enjoys swimming, and music (saxophone and guitar).
- Oct 2023: (honor) I have been listed in the latest Stanford World’s Top 2% Scientists based on standardized citation indicators.
- Oct 2023: (activity) I have been selected as the Digileader by Digital Futures and will attend the Digitalize-23 event in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Oct 2023: (paper) Our work on visual recognition in the dark has been accepted by IJCV (IF=19.5).
- Sep 2023: (paper) Two papers have been accepted by NeurIPS-23. The MM-FI dataset is accepted by the NeurIPS Dataset and Benchmark track.
- Jul 2023: (paper) Two papers on multimodal learning and domain adaptation have been accepted by ICCV-2023. Looking forward to meeting in Paris.
- Jul 2023: (paper) Our work MAMT2 has been accepted by the top-tier civil engineering journal CACIE.
- Jul 2023: (service) AAAI-2024, ICLR-2024 - invited as a PC member.
- Jun 2023: (data) We have released the first wireless multimodal human sensing dataset MM-FI including five synchronized sensor modalities.
- Jun 2023 (book) Our paper on WiFi and IMU localization has been published by Springer Nature in the book “Machine Learning for Indoor Localization and Navigation”.
- Jun 2023: (paper) Our work AV-PedAware has been accepted by IROS-23.
- May 2023: (paper) Our work MATS has been accepted by MIDL.
- Apr 2023: (paper) Our work MetaFi++ has been accepted by IEEE IoT Journal (IF=10.238).
- Mar 2023: (service) NeurIPS-2023, ICCV-2023 - invited as a PC member.
- Feb 2023: (paper) Our WiFi sensing work SenseFi has been accepted by Patterns, Cell Press.
- Jan 2023: (paper) Our transfer learning work BETA has been accepted by ICLR-23 (Spotlight, Top 7.8%).
- Jan 2023: (paper) Our work VariFi has been accepted by IEEE IoT Journal (IF=10.238).
- Dec 2022: (paper) Our work AirFi has been accepted by IEEE Trans on Mobile Computing (TMC).
- Dec 2022: (paper) Our work AutoFi has been accepted by IEEE IoT Journal (IF=10.238).
- Nov 2022: (paper) Our work SecureSense has been accepted by IEEE Trans on Mobile Computing (TMC).
- Nov 2022: (paper) Our work on transfer learning for time-series data is accepted by AAAI-23.
- Nov 2022: (honor) I have been recognized as the World’s Top 2% Scientists compiled by Stanford University based on standardized citation indicators.
- Nov 2022: (service) CVPR-2023 - invited as a PC member.
- Sep 2022: (paper) Our work on video transfer learning is accepted by IEEE TNNLS (IF=14.62).
- Sep 2022: (activity) I have been selected as a participant in the Global Young Scientists Summit (GYSS) 2023.
- Sep 2022: (paper) One paper (GaitFi) finished by a master student is accepted by IEEE IoT Journal (IF=10.238).
- Aug 2022: (service) AAAI-2023 - invited as a PC member.
- Aug 2022: (service) IEEE WCNC-2023 - invited as a TPC member.
- Aug 2022: (paper) The first benchmark for WiFi sensing has been released in [Arxiv] and [Github].
- Jul 2022: (paper) One paper is accepted by ECCV-2022.
- Jul 2022: (paper) One paper is accepted by ACM MM-2022.
- May 2022: (service) ICARCV-2022 - invited as a Session Chair.
- Feb 2022: (service) NeurIPS-2022 - invited as a PC member.
- Mar 2022: (service) ICCA-2022 - invited as a Session Chair for “Machine Learning with Applications”.
- Feb 2022: (service) ECCV-2022 - invited as a PC member.
- Jan 2022: (service) ICML-2022 - invited as a PC member.
- Jan 2022: (service) MULA Workshop@CVPR-2022 - invited as a PC member.
- Nov 2021: (service) CVPR-2022 - invited as a PC member.
- Nov 2021: (award) Win the first place at Alibaba A-tech Challenge.
- Aug 2021: (award) Win the first place at ICCV-21 Masked Face Recognition Challenge.
- Jun 2021: (award) Best Thesis Award and Graduate College Award from NTU.
- Mar 2021: (service) MDPI-Remote Sensing - Guest Editor
- Jan 2021: (service) HAR workshop@IJCAI-2021 - Organizer
- Jun 2020: (grant) $200K NTU PPF Grant - Multimodal Learning for Smart Sensing at Smart Cities